Tammy Tent Two

A couple of weeks ago I built a tent for Tammy so that I could dry her out and work on her during the winter. On Thursday 12th December the rain came and destroyed the tent, forming heavy pools in the roof that bent and broke the metal frame. This has set back my plans. Rather than working on installing insulating flotation foam, I’ve had to spend time cleaning and drying her out and building a new tent.

At first, I tried my original plan of building a curve-topped covered wagon using 40mm PVC pipe, but I could only find 2m and 3m lengths at my local B&Q and had no way of joining them that would create a continuous curve: the pipe joints available aren’t designed to take any strain.

After much head scratching I realised I could build a tent-like frame on board.

IMG_20191216_110819

Each side consists of five 2m pipes. One T-juction joint in the middle supports a ridge, which is made of two sets of pipes. Because I’ve used only 90 degree angles, the soft and flexible pipes are well supported. Finally, the whole thing is stiffened up with triangulating lashings.

IMGA0881

The key difference this time is that the top of the tent has a steeply pitched angle. This should make it impossible for water to pool in the tarpaulin and pull the tent down.

IMGA0882

Here she is with the tarpaulin over the frame.

IMGA0883

The tarp is mostly held down against wind by some heavy nylon ropes. The skirts are rolled up and tucked onto the trailer to allow some air flow and help with drying.

The frame is held together and to the boat with traditional duct tape.

IMGA0877

Heavy rain is forecast for the rest of the week, so this will get a thorough test!

Meanwhile, I did something seasonal!

There are plenty more pictures, with details in their descriptions, over at the Flickr album “Tammy Norie winter tent”.

6 Comments

Filed under Equipment, Unsinkability

6 responses to “Tammy Tent Two

  1. Roy Bacon

    Hi Richard – I’ve been enjoying your films and posts – a great guide to micro-junking. I am considering joining the family (as you put it) myself, and last week visited this:
    https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Sailboats/newbridge-coromandel-21/282572
    She seems (to someone with no specialist knowledge) to be in reasonably good general condition; but her interior is pretty much stripped out. No electrics, no cooker, bits of woodwork (including heads door) missing, and a lot of horrible brown carpet headlining to remove. I’d be very interested to know what you think of the asking price of £2,500. Any advice gratefully received. All best – Roy

    • Hello Roy! Old boats like the Coromandel aren’t really worth anything in themselves: it’s all about how much they’re going to cost you in future to do what you want to do. I bought Tammy Norie in about £3000 but she was very well preserved. From what you’ve said, that boat sounds like she’ll need a refit, and as such ought to be much cheaper. I also wonder about “re-sprayed”, having been warned by my surveyor that painting a boat is often done to cover up flaws. But I will say again, it’s all about your personal goals. You might enjoy the refit work!

      By the way I live in Cambridge and you might be able to persuade me to come and look at her in Walton. I’ll send you mail.

  2. Jes Bates

    Hi. I am planning a similar sort of winter tent for my Corribee. I like the steep pitch which avoids pooling of water between the ‘roof trusses’ which has been my problem so far with the boat cover.
    Interested in your experience of a boom tent, and also that perennial questions of spray hood for Corribee. The latter I have tried to explore on the Corribee FB page without much help.

  3. Jes Bates

    Hi, I’m now working on my Corribee at home on the drive and have built a similar tent to work under. I already had a big tarpaulin to cover the frame with and I’ve built a frame from B&Q 40mm waste pipe like you. The next day Storm Ciara destroyed it but I rebuilt it with more cross bracing, some screws on critical joints and sort of internal guy ropes and it survived Dennis and is a great place to work. I’ve put in a small electric convection heater to help the paint/filler/epoxy cure as necessary and to keep the worker warm! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    • The storms also separated some of my joints, but I’ve used some duct tape and that has worked out. I have guys from the joints to the cleats. A bit of flex is probably a good thing! I’m glad it’s worked out for you too.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s