I’ve stripped out the interior of Tammy Norie in order to remove all the rotting headlining. I’ll write a proper post about the redecoration later, but here’s a preview of the mess!
I was painting during some heavy rain and noticed a leak where the forward light wire comes in to the cabin from the starboard aft pulpit foot. It’s a leak that would’ve been pretty well hidden by the headlining, forward shelving, etc. and so it’s a good thing I’d taken all that out.
So, time to re-seal the pulpit. Off it comes!
Way back here in my video “First tour of Tammy Norie” I said that I didn’t like the way the stainless-steel feet of the pulpit, pushpit, and stanchions were bolted straight onto the gelcoat of the deck, and there was evidence of cracking. I did a prototype fix of this to one leaky stanchion back in Wells using plywood. That’s not looking too great now, though it isn’t leaking.
So I decided to try a different material suggested by Dad — lino! He had a bit of offcut cushion flooring from our old kitchen. It’s waterproof, resilient, and slightly squishy. I cut pads for the pulpit feet.
And then bolted the whole thing back in place with a bit of Sikaflex around the bolt holes and the wire from the forward light. It looks very neat!
We’ll see how well it stands up to a season of seawater and sunlight.